Astounding!
I just phoned the Public Affairs Office of the CIA, the phone number listed at their website, to inquire about "covert status" and if family members are authorized this information (as regards Plame and Wilson IV).
The female Public Affairs Officer I spoke with responded with, "It's really up to the individual whether they reveal that information or not."
I said, in an astounded voice, "Oh, really!?"
Then she became flustered, realizing what she had just said, and I questioned her again. She denied what she had just said! I asked for her name, which she refused to give. She asked for mine, and I refused.
I again repeated the information she had given to me back to her, "So the CIA's rule about covert status is, it's up to the individual that has the covert status to whom they can and will reveal that information?"
Again, she denied she had said that.
She went on to say that they don't discuss these things with the general public and information can be found at their website.
Nothing that answers my question, though.
I hope to hell they were recording the call.
This is something that has been on my mind since this story broke. Why did Joseph Wilson IV know his wife was a covert agent? Why would Plame reveal herself and her covert status to her husband? Did he have a need to know? What was his need to know?
From my very good understanding of the classified status of personnel, NO ONE is to be informed of your status... NO ONE. Not for any reason unless so authorized by the higher-ups and for a very good reason.
This really should be investigated... or the CIA should reveal the reasons why Wilson knew of his wife's status.
Not cool at all.





No comments:
Post a Comment