Saturday, May 5, 2007

de la Hoya vs Mayweather

My opinion being so very low of the administration in the boxing world these days, I find it amazing I am again forking over $55.00 (plus tax) to watch this fight on Pay-per-View. I am a boxing fan, though, and to not watch this fight would be like missing Sunday Mass. Simply not done. *chuckle*

My prediction? Well, having no personal financial stake in the fight, de la Hoya would be my bet. de la Hoya KOs Mayweather in the fifth.

There's no more bang for your buck when it comes to boxing, the fighters more interested in getting the fight over and done with as soon as possible, looking for their check to be deposited into their respective accounts immediately after the final bell.

I'm hoping this will be a well-fought and entertaining fight. I'm also hoping Joe Cortez is the referee. Maybe Leonard Steele. The lead up has been tremendous, the HBO tidbits of the training days of de la Hoya and Mayweather very interesting.

Best of luck to both fighters.

UPDATE: 05May07 2205 hrs

Larry Merchant about Mayweather: "Defensive Genius"

Good God, Man! Are you insane? Taking a wild punch and running away after each one thrown, through the entire twelve rounds, refusing to engage his opponent, and tangling up (hugging) at every opportunity is NOT defensive genius.

Merchant should be fired anyway, his terse and often ridiculous commentary is not appreciated by me.

Max Kellerman was on the side of Mayweather, too. Something I found to be incredulous, especially since I respect Kellerman's knowledge on all things sports. He's like a damn Bob Costas in his depth and breadth of knowledge. I was further stunned when he called out one of the judges, Jerry Roth, saying there was no way Roth could have given the two extra points to de la Hoya. Puh-LEEEEEZ!!!! Max!!!! You're talking like a blind ref at a baseball game.

Golden Boy Promotions has done it again. Promising a fight to go down in fight history and it was all a bunch of promotion. Another fixed fight courtesy of Oscar de la Whore-a. Willing to lose a fight in which he promoted himself for money. That's it. End of story. All leading up to the obvious re-match that will happen. Then, after the re-match, which de la Hoya will win, de la Hoya will hire Mayweather, as has been planned all along, and things will go from there with a new crop of fighters; Mayweather the banner fighter for de la Hoya and Golden Boy Promotions.

Look, it was crystal clear when Mayweather left the locker room festooned in sequined red, white, and green and then donning a huge sombrero. Jim Lampley, et al, mentioned it was a psychological ploy, one Roger Mayweather used to pull on his opponents. It may have been, but I didn't see it that way. I saw it as a sign of respect to Oscar and Cinco de Mayo. Whatever...

It was more than disappointing and I am furious I fell for the hype again. What was the take on this fight worldwide? Over $550M.

Good grief.

de la Hoya's final words to Larry Merchant, "I love boxing."

Sorry, Oscar. Not buying it. You love money.

Larry Bayless was the ref and did an admirable job as usual.

No comments: